Quiz by: esale
“Good morning America, I’m Charles Gibson. I’m Diane and it’s Tuesday September 11 2001.
-It is lunchtime in London, 5a.m in Los Angeles, and 8a.m here in New York live from the CNN financial news headquarters.
-It is beautiful outside, perfect September day with lots of sunshine. Would you look at Washington. I’m going outside today.
-And then it’s kinda quiet around the country. We like quiet but it’s quiet, it’s too quiet.
-This Justin you’re looking at obviously a very disturbing live shot there. That is the World Trade Center
- apparently a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center in New York.
- it does not appear that there’s any kind of an effort up there yet and I remember, oh my god!
- that looks like a second plane.
-I did not see a plane go in, that just exploded.
- We just saw another plane coming in from the side.
-you did, that was out of my view.
- That’s the second explosion, you could see the plane come in just from the right hand side of the screen. So this looks like it is some sort of a concerted effort to attack the World Trade Center that is underway.
- people are running away very quickly, there are more explosions further down the building.
-this is so shocking of course to everybody watching.
-I’ve never seen anything like it. It literally blew itself into World Trade Center.
-The building’s exploding right now, you’ve got people running up the street.
- President Bush’s speaking :
-"Today we’ve had a National tragedy, two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist attack on our country."
- and the Pentagon is being evacuated. There is a large fire there and that is the smoke you see in the shot that you’re looking at now.
- it appears that an aircraft of some sort did hit the side of the Pentagon.
- It’s a very haunting description that Bob Kerr just gave of that low-flying aircraft near the White House and one can only wonder if that was something that ultimately ended up in the Pentagon.
- we just saw a live picture of what seemed to be a portion of the building falling away.
- Jamie, I need you to stop for a second there has just been a huge explosion. We can see a billowing smoke rising and I can’t I’ll tell you that I can’t see that second tower but the there was a cascade of sparks and fire and now this, it looks almost like a mushroom cloud explosion.
-let’s go to the trade tower again because John we now have, what do we have, we don’t.
- It looks like a new plume, a new large plume of smoke.
- only one tower is standing the other has collapsed
-It has completely collapsed.
-The whole side has collapsed?
- The whole building has collapsed.
- The whole building has collapsed?
- The building has collapsed.
- “We heard a big bang, and then we saw smoke coming out, and everybody started running out, and we saw the plane on the other side of the building, and there was smoke everywhere, and people were jumping out the windows, over there they were jumping out the windows I guess because, they were trying to save themselves, I don’t know.”
- And there’s you can see perhaps the second tower the front power the top portion of which is collapsing.
- Good Lord. There are no words.
- There’s a, there’s a haze, it’s very very difficult to see, the whole area has been covered by dust and ash. People are coming up the street, running from…explosion.
-I’m going to interrupt you senator Mc Cain these are the first pictures we have in. This is from Somerset Country Pennsylvania. This is where the United Airlines flight - I believe it is 176 - went down.
- I need to interrupt you, this is a Taliban spokesman talking now in Kabul I believe.
- Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward and freedom will be defended."
- lunchtime /ˈlʌntʃtaɪm/
- headquarters /ˈhedkwɔːtəʳ/
- outside /ˈaʊtˈsaɪd/
- kinda (kind of) /kaɪnd/
- obviously /ˈɒbvɪəslɪ/
- disturbing /dɪsˈt3ːbɪŋ/
- underway /ˌʌndəˈweɪ/
- blew /bluː/
- haunting /ˈhɔːntɪŋ/