***FIRST DO THE QUIZ, then watch the video and check your answers.***
1. "My childhood __________________ are more like snapshots than videos. Snippets of _________________ linger as sights, sounds, and smells in my mind."
memories / experiences
friends / pictures
2. "I can _________ the sound of the air conditioner humming at my grandmother's house during nap time, or see the big derricks in the oilfields where we used to play, or ____________ my mother's oatmeal cake baking in the oven."
listen / hear
hear / smell
3. "Why certain memories _____________ while others fade, I'm not really sure. The orange dress, though, is a memory that has stood the test of time for me."
4. "I'm not even really sure how old I was, maybe around seven. The ______________ school was having a fashion show, and to ______________ your mother had to make a dress."
elementary / participate
high / watch
5. "My mother had many ___________, but sewing wasn't one of them. _______________ that I wanted to participate, though, she cheerfully made an attempt because that was the way my mother was."
talents / Knowing
abilities / Understood
6. "She chose a simple _____________. The ____________ was an orange print with tiny flowers, and there was solid orange rickrack to match."
fabric / pattern
pattern / material
7. "One evening my mom began __________ the dress."
8. "She was struggling with the pattern when my dad came home from work one night. My dad, not being the genteel type, brusquely said, "_______________________________"
Is there anything I can do to help?
Here, let me do that.
9. "He was a parachute rigger in the Navy, so he knew how to ________________ sewing machines and put them back together, as well how to operate one.
10. "I'm sure my mother was happy to turn the project ___________ to him."
11. "On the day of the show, each girl walked across the ______________ and the master of ceremonies said a few words about her frock."
12. "You could hear a soft delighted __________ from the audience when it was announced that this dress had been made by her father."
13. "That was such a long time ago. My dad recently ______________ the details of the __________ for me since my mom has passed away.
filled in / story
filled out / dress
14. "My only true memory is standing on stage wearing that orange peasant dress with the rickrack trim and ___________ special.
15. Question: Where did Dawn's father work?
He worked in the Navy.
He worked in the oilfields.
17. Question: Did Dawn like the dress?
Yes, she liked it very much.
She doesn't say.